Best place to buy collated nails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to buy some round or offset 90mm 34 degree ringshank collated nails, for some reason I can't seem to find them anywhere?

In general where do people buy their nails?

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks Foxhole, I'd seen those but they are clipped head. I may have missed them but I couldn't find an equivalent full head or offset head version.

Sponsored Links
30 to 34° nails are all clipped head ("D"-head) or offset head nails, paper collated. Full head nails are always 20 to 22° and can be either plastic or wire collated. AFAIK the only people doing 30 to 34° offset head nails at present are Passlode (their patent, I think) - and of course they only seem to come with the gas

As there seems to be some confusion about what nails you need it might be a help if you could state the gun you are using, then someone can point you at the correct type of nail and an appropriate supplier. I own pneumatic, cordless and gas 1st fix nailers - mostly clipped head types, but also a couple of full head guns

As it happens for clipped head nails (30 to 34° paper collated) Selco are pretty good - they (used to?) carry Rawl, a decent enough brand. They are also cheaper than Screwfix or Toolstation. Full head nails are a bit more awkward to source (we buy our nails in bulk through a trade outlet, normally 50 to 100k nails at a time in the early stages of a project - buy 500k or more and they throw in the guns for free, not that I ever see any many). Just avoid cheap or unknown brand nails (e.g Champion) as they are more trouble than they are worth

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jobandknock, you’re right I was actually asking for the wrong thing. It’s a Milwaukee framing nailer (34 degrees) I’m using, and I’m actually fine with the clipped head 90mm nails for the actual framing. What I really wanted were full head or offset full head nails for sheathing to avoid pull through. Of course for that I don’t need the 90mm I can go down to 50mm which is the minimum the gun will take. Still can’t find any of those though?

What I really wanted were full head or offset full head nails for sheathing to avoid pull through. Of course for that I don’t need the 90mm I can go down to 50mm which is the minimum the gun will take. Still can’t find any of those though?
As I said before the only company selling paper-collated 34° offset full head nails to work in a clipped head 1st fix nailer is Passlode, because it's their design and AFAIK it is still subject to patent protection. So if you want that type of nail your only choice is to buy Passlode nails with the gas (unless Passlode are offering them without gas - unlikely as Passlode don't sell pneumatic guns in the UK), then sell the gas on eBay. Unfortunately, Passlode nails don't come cheap unless you buy in huge quantities. I've been told that these nails were introduced to meet the changed building codes in "hurricane states" in the USA for roof structures to be nailed using full head nails. I've used them a few times in the UK, but TBH they aren't common and were only supplied to us when there was a temporary shortage of nails at the distributor

No 30 to 34° nail gun can take true full head nails. Full head nails are only made in 20 to 22° plastic or wire collated forms, which cannot be used in a clipped haed gun such as yours, and there are a lot less of those guns around. Nail length isn't any part of the problem

That's why you can't find the nails you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back