Dewalt DCN692 Nail Gun - Framing Nails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,
I've a fair bit of first fix work to do on 9x2's etc. so I've bought a DCN692, I'm already into the Dewalt ecosystem so I took advantage of a deal I seen.

Could anyone who uses this gun recommend come collated nails to use, I'm looking at 90mm ones but I see some recommend buying paper collated whereas the Dewalt one's are wire collated and some attribute that to issues with the gun jamming. Any suggestions/recommendations from users please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As a one-time user of The DCN692 and still a regular user of 1st fix nail guns, both gas and cordless let me interject - deWalt do indeed sell paper collated nails for the DCN692, as well as wire collated nails for their pneumatic nailers. The main differences are the head design of the nails and the angle - paper collated nails have clipped heads and are angled to fit in guns which have a slide angle of 30 to 34°, whereas plastic collated nails are invariably at 20 or 21° and wire collated at 28°. They are also spaced a lot more widely on the collation "strips". The nails are NOT interchangeable between guns; so a 20 or 21° 1st fix framing gun needs wire 28° or plastic collated 21° nails and will jam if you try feeding paper collated 34° nails through it, and vice versa.

If you can't get DW nails, try Rawl (available through Selco, etc) or Fischer = both sell nails without the gas and are good quality nails (we used hundreds of thousands of Fischer clipped head nails on a previous project, and I've boiught a fair number of Rawls in the past). Hikoki clipped head nails work in DW guns as well (as do Makita, Hilti, Passlode, Senco and Bostitch)

A small aside: are you aware that DW cordless guns need to be "run in" for 1,000 to 1,500 nails on shorter nails before they can be gauraunteed to sink 90mm nails? At least that was the case with the original type 1 guns, like the one I owned for 5 years. Check the manual to avoid disappointment[/I]

Take a look at this article for further info

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Maybe. If so it would have been because I was using them at the time. I tend to get issued with nails by the joinery or main contractor - so I often only notice if they are giving me duff ones!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back