best recorder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what's the best HDD recorded out there in the £200-£300 range?

would I be better off with SKYHD? as obviously the HDD recorder wouldn't record the things in HD?

Sponsored Links
Panasonic are bringing out a Blu-ray recorder with built in twin tuner Freesat reciever and 500GB HDD next month. Expected retail price of around £900
otherwise id recommend the Humax Foxsat PVR for Freesat or the Sky+ HD box if you want to pay the subscription fees.

A couple of years ago I bought a Sony RDR-HXD860.

It had a good spec, good price, and I've had other Sony gear and been happy with the brand.

It's complete pants - driving me to distraction with its mankiness - gotta go.

Moral?

Anybody can make a cr** product.

But seriously - I don't want to rain on DIYnot's parade, and I hope this forum does well, but also check here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php as you'll get a wider audience and more specific advice.

It is worth looking into which ones support Top Up TV. The guys there actually maintain the software and send out updates. Though would recommend giving the Thompson one a miss. Bit too flaky. Though there is support from TUTV.

Sponsored Links
I have the Sony might be this model (although later version) very happy with it, especially the fast forward in 30seconds & FF with sound.

Good machine

If it is the same one then frankly I'm amazed that you're very happy with the following features:

1) The ludicrous amount of time that it takes to start up.

2) The ludicrous amount of time that it takes to delete files from the hard drive.

3) The dreadfully slow response to the remote.

4) The inability to copy files from the hard drive to a DVD at high speed.

5) The way it won't tell you how large each file on the hard drive is.

6) The user manual which seems to have been deliberately structured and indexed to make it hard to find anything.

If it is the same one then frankly I'm amazed that you're very happy with the following features:

1) The ludicrous amount of time that it takes to start up.

2) The ludicrous amount of time that it takes to delete files from the hard drive.

3) The dreadfully slow response to the remote.

4) The inability to copy files from the hard drive to a DVD at high speed.

5) The way it won't tell you how large each file on the hard drive is.

6) The user manual which seems to have been deliberately structured and indexed to make it hard to find anything.

They must have put some changes in. My Model is the RDR HXD870

I dont have any of your problems.
I like the way it looks for another date to record when there is a time clash.
The 30 second & 1 minute advance & the fast forward with sound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back