Best Silicone for sealing between bath & wall tiles??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When tiling my bathroom I couldnt get a seal like this -=>http://www.sealux.com/images/products/sealux 15 pro.jpg to fit due to the shape of the edge of the bath (it just wouldnt sit in when i tried to fit it).
It seems my only option now is to seal between the tiles and bath with silicone. I've been warned to use the best possible silicone for this purpose. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
More anecdotal than scientific - have used the ones marked "technology beyond silicone", with 20 or 30 years guarantee, made by the likes of Unibond, in my own kitchen. Still clean, cleanable and as new after a lot of years!

Some of the sanitary silicones look dirty quite soon. Dow Corning are probably about the best.
Some come in High or Low Modulus. Low Modulus ones stretch further but aren't as strong.

Never had any problems with cerafix (not that expensive). Remember to use high modulus silicone for this.

Sponsored Links
Can recommend Unibond. The real secret is also to make sure the bath is fixed firm and fill it with water, then apply the sealer and don't empty the bath until it has gone off. That way it won't get stretched the first time the bath is filled with water.

Don't forget to have someone/something sat in the bath as well while the silicone goes off. That really does prevent it getting stretched. I usually use a horse.

I guess thats the difference between the 'western world' and Albania....

Heavier the better really ... I usually fill it full of concrete and let it set, apply the sealant and let it set and, assuming the whole lot hasn't fallen through the floor, replace the bath!

For those without a sense of humour I AM JOKING :LOL:

To do the job properly you build a box, put waterproof concrete in and set the bath in that. Use a pump to get the concrete up to the brim all the way round. That stops the bath moviing when you put the horse in.

I think the RSPCA may object to concreting a horse in the bath unfortunately ... Use the wife ... Or the neighbours scally kids ... General rule of thumb is 2 small scally kids to one wife (assuming a wife of generous proportions) ... "I'll never get over you my love, so I'll have to get up and go around" :LOL:

Ditch at the bottom of the garden full of scaley things, but hey, saves sealing the bath......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back