Best sports person ever?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Jonny Wilkinson retires at the end of the season, and I shall be at the millenium stadium to see his penultimate game :D :(

The perfect sportsman whilst giving 100% every time he played, and a perfect role model...

He will no doubt be remembered for a particular drop goal in 2003, but I reckon the gesture at the end of this clip sums him up best:

So, has there been a better sports person?

Sponsored Links
It's a very personal thing Ellal.

I was inspired and thought the world of Vasily Alekseyev

He didn't look strong, (kinda fat), but he made history and I was sooo inspired by him. He was the first to lift 500 lbs above his head!!! (Clean & Jerk).

Others followed that 'impossible' barrier and went on to much more. But oh how I wanted to be him! Still got the front page of him in, I think, The Radio Times from the Olympics 1972.

"THE STRONGEST MAN IN THE WORLD".

Fanbloodytastic!!!

Past away in 2011 :cry: But what a legacy!

And as for THIS :eek: :eek: :eek:

I nearly had an orgasm. Germany thought they had it in the bag because he beat/equalized Vasily's very long-standing record!

I watched it live, recorded it on VHS. Chemerkin was just incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt two of us wimps here would so much as get that an inch off the floor! Watch how after he's won he picks a mate up in the air, who probably weighs 20 stone, like a baby :D And the German's face sitting down, who thought he'd got it looking dejected, and they're known for being bloody good.

Sponsored Links
Best sportsman ever?

Max Woosnam

Captained Manchester City and England at football

A Wimbledon tennis champion

Scored a century for England cricket boys team at Lords

Olympic gold medals at tennis

Played golf off scratch

Never gave an interview and did it for the love of sport and not money

James Cracknell, he could do anything and could push his body right to the edge and hold it there.

I think it would depend on what particular sport one is in to.

Here are some I could suggest:

Daley Thompson

Gordon Banks

David Seaman

Muhammad Ali

Sir Tom Finney, despite being fouled in the days when sliding tackles were legal, and boots had studs which were nailed to the soles, he never retaliated and never had is name taken, (equivalent to todays yellow cards).
When he died early this year an estimated 50,000 lined the streets for his funeral.
Oh and by the way he was a pretty fair footballer to boot.

Sponsored Links
Back