Best stain for oak worktop ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing new oak worktops and want a darker than natural finish. Following Oilman's advice from other threads I intend finishing with Tung oil.
My question is - what is the best, compatible stain to use to darken the oak prior to oiling? Is Colron or similar suitable ?
Since I shall need a fair quantity can anyone advise a low cost supplier ?

Sponsored Links
If you are going to stain the worktops I would recommend the 'Classique' range from Morrells Woodfinisheshttp://www.morrells.co.uk/home.php

These are cellulose based wood dyes which will give a good even finish over the large area of a worktop. Apply oil afterwards.

However,

I would advise against staining worktops at all if possible. One of the features of wooden worktops is that if they get scratched, worn, marked or just tatty you can sand them down and re-oil them. If a stain has been used though, it is going to be very difficult to get an even finish again.

Best avoided if you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back