Best time of year for Creosoting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it policy to creosote a fence in the autumn so the coating is fresher to protect the wood from winter weather, or is that being fussy and could i do it any time of year?

Sponsored Links
I use Thompsons waterseal, clear coat and brush on, main thing is you get no mess whatsoever.
Apply anytime.

Most people treat fences in Autumn like you say to "protect" them during the winter but it ain't going to make much difference to be honest. Most fence paints don't treat the wood either they just apply a waxed coating that rain runs off. Good old Creosote was the dogs wotsits but the proper stuff is no longer available and has had approval withdrawn. Personally I do mine in Spring purely so they look their best during the Summer when I am out in the garden the most.

do it in a spell of dry weather, so the timber is dry for it to soak in, and the following day will be dry so it dries well, hardens, and is not washed away by rain.

you will not be using creosote, most likely it will be a water-based fence stain. Heavy rain will wash it off until it has cured.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all the info.
the alternatives look good but I have a lot of fence (about 90 feet x 6 feet high) and I am very short on money!

Has anyone ver used the new creoCote but with diesel mixed in with it?
f so what did you make of it?

you mean, apart from being toxic, inflammable, stinking, and illegal?

What do you think a 5-litre tub of fence stain from Aldi or Wilkinsons costs?

- About £4 per litre.. twice as much as the creocote.
- legality? Havent done it yet, which is why I'm checking here.. plus crecote stinks anyway

If you mean flammable, it is but not really easy to light

Been doing some digging about the internet and it looks like your right. adding any amount of diesel .. including adding to creocote or anything else is illegal for the average DIYer.

I would say 400% is exessive :eek: :p
That stuff you provided the link for isn't the one I was looking at, though you wern't to know.
it was this: http://www.wickes.co.uk/interior-wood-treatment-5l/invt/170697/

Expensive but seems it'll do a good job.

Good old Creosote was the dogs wotsits but the proper stuff is no longer available and has had approval withdrawn..

Nah, still manufactured by Bartoline (proper coal tar based) and available from fence and gate suppliers. Just not sold at high street retail outlets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back