What's the best fence paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I painted the fence last year with OneCoat dark oak but its already faded in places and turned green is other areas.

Its a spaced latt fence and may paint it again this year but I want a product with more robust finish. I don't want the fence black so engine oil and creosote can't be used.

Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
I've also had a look at Wilko own brand. May get a tub of that, paint one of the worst areas and see its fairs for the rest of the year.

Sponsored Links
Creosote is no longer generally available, for health and environmental reasons.

Onecoat and other shed and fence treaments are usually a water-based emusion that leaves a coloured, waxy coating on the surface to repel water. When it is weathered and no longer repels water (or when it is fresh and has not yet cured) you can apply more coats over the top.

https://www.diy.com/departments/ron...-matt-shed-fence-treatment-12l/1919510_BQ.prd

If you dislike it, or want a lighter colour, you can blast it off with a jetwasher (this will also raise the grain of the wood)

Would never use paint on a fence, I use decking oil coloured to suit .

Wanted to give a suggestion that the no nonsense garden paint from screwfix is an absolutely amazing product. After wasting my time a few months back with Ronseal (oh boy). I started using this screwfix and has been impressed to say the least. they only have like 6 colours though and hard to find.

How many years did it last before it was weathered off no need recoating?
Ronseal lasted 6 months. I have only applied the screwfix stuff on for a few months but just trust me when I tell you, Ronseal is like water with 4 coats, this stuff on first coat covers excellently and leaves a plastic film. As soon as you apply you can tell it will last a few years. A few reviews talked about 3-4 yrs but not from personal experience.

Looks like the same as the Cuprinol garden shades stuff, but cheaper :)
I've used Cuprinol on the new fences we put up 3 years ago. Apart from normal dirt & birdy poops on the fences, they look as good as the day I did them. No wear, no peeling.

Which of their products are you speaking of. ?

Also what of Creocote on fences compared to Cuprinol
Cuprinol garden shades :)

Never used creocote, only the old school stuff some years back, sorry. Cuprinol is water based paint, has a slight rubbery finish and it's very good at covering and repelling water. Creocote I should imagine will be oil based, to do the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back