Painting over creosote?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tried this?

I have mistakenly stained a gate in creosote before applying the teak and now I'm struggling to finish it.

The dark drown colour is what I'm trying to achieve but after 4 coats of creosote theres still a lot of tranparent patches.

Should I try and paint over it? or keep re-applying till it gets as dark as i want it?

It worked ok for a small fence post, but applying onto white wood has been a nightmare.

Sponsored Links
"Creosote" was withdrawn from the market some years ago as it is dangerous to heath.

Have you had a barrel of it hidden in your shed all this time, or is it something else?

What is the product name on the label?

What is "the teak"?

Are you using "Paint" or a stain?

"Creosote" was withdrawn from the market some years ago as it is dangerous to heath.

Have you had a barrel of it hidden in your shed all this time, or is it something else?

What is "the teak"?

Are you using "Paint" or a stain?

Not too sure but its either creosote or creosite? got it off a shed manufacturer, its still being sold. The teak is a stain?

(of both the products you are using)

Sponsored Links
Ahhh.... its not creosote, but a creosote substitute called bartoline. Phew! thought I would have to send the gate to the bonfire.

Any ideas though to get rid of the patchy look of the creosote substitute? I guess satining over it wont work as it wouldnt be dark enough to hide the creo-substitute.

Is a paint type product the only solution?

see if the preservative will wash off with white sprit.

you can get a better, uncoloured preservative such as Cuprinol Clear, if you want to use a pale or transparent stain on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back