After some advice on wood preserve/paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having been a convert from water-based stains to decking oil (3 winters and still not flaking), I was wondering if I can use decking oil on fences? Or is there such a thing as oil-based fence treatment (and won't break the bank)? What about "creosote substitute" - are these any good?

Also, I'm thinking of painting the shed with one of those fancy coloured products (e.g. Cuprinol "Garden Shades" & Ronseal "Woodland Trust Colours"), and wondered how well a pale shade will cover an existing dark brown? The product guides don't mention the need to undercoat dark colours so I assume it'll work (give or take a few coats).

Sponsored Links
I'm doing the same changing the colour of what feels like miles of fence and a shed from a horrid reddish brown (red cedar I think) to a muted green. I looked around for a really opaque shed/fence paint but to be honest they all seem to be a bit see-through being water-based. I've got 4 coats on one side of the shed and it's definitely green now, but not the green it says on the tin and still a bit shadowy. But it's infinitely better than the red cedar so I'll live with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back