Creosote to stain/paint patio slabs!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advice!

I have typical council house patio slabs and for the past three years have been trying to paint them a dark chocolate brown:
- painted them with masonry paint 2.5 years ago, looked awesome, cheap way to make my garden look nicer vs new slabs!
- following year after seeing some wear and tear to paint used stabilising solution and painted again. then decided to lay more slabs to sit a hot tub on and the work of doing that really corroded the paint job ..

now looking to paint again. I have used creosotes on all my fences/gates etc as that's what was used on them before i moved in, and am wondering if this will give me a longer lasting paint job on those manky looking council slabs? I've read that over time creosote will breakdown concrete (or something to that affect) but unsure if that means it would destroy the within the next cpl years or twenty from now. If it was going to last a while, would i use stabilising solution before covering with creosote or after? Or do I persevere with the masonry paint in the hope that one day it will last longer after multiple years of painting lol So many questions I know, all answers will be helpful! TIA!

p.s. can't afford new lovely slabs and won't for another year or two so one way or another I'll be painting those awful slabs!

Sponsored Links
I was thinking about that last year but i think i bailed on that idea when I couldn't find any in brown. Very glad to know it's worked for you, I'll revisit that idea now! Did you whack it on or did you do any prep?

Sponsored Links
I used creosote on my drive many moons ago because somebody told it would get rid of moss. It stunk to high heaven for years after. I'm not even sure you can get proper creosote these days. I would go with the painting. I use Dulux Weathershield outdoor wood and metal paint. It is expensive and it is the ONLY water based paint I would recommend. It is quite thick so it, generally, only needs one coat. But because of the cost if you have a lot of flags it wouldn't be cost effective for you. Plenty of nice, deep, chocolate browns in the range though.

Mine were concrete flags, cleaned them with power wash. Sealed the whole area with a SBR Everbuild bonding solution and got the floor paint off eBay, sure there’s a dark brown colour. It was that simple and cheap. Hope this helps you.

Johnstone’s floor paint was the brand I used. I think 2.5 ltrs was about a tenner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back