Advice on cleaning / painting patio slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , Does anyone have any tips or advice on the best patio cleaner or is there a paint i can use to bring slabs to look good as new ?

I will also be re pointing the cement using path fix that you simply brush over but what i don’t understand is how do you get rid of the excess cement ? Surely if you are brushing it into the cracks then you will get a smear of cement all over the slabs themselves ?

Many thanks

Scott

Sponsored Links
Can't comment on the pointing, but cleaning wise I use a pressure washer with patio attachment. Some will say you shouldn't use them as they damage the material but I've not found that myself.

Yes pressure washer, use neat detergent beforehand and wash it off with the washer. You can scrub it in if needed and as often as it takes to get them back to new. The higher the pressure the washer gives out the better and faster you can work. There are acid based cleaners which make the job easier, but need to be used with caution. Washing, will be a little messy for the surrounding area (patio doors/driveway/flowerbeds) so start in the middle. Just hire the washer for a few hours, see how you get on.

In my opinion do not paint

Re-point with fine DRY sand/cement and a brush

diluted hypochlorite is up there as one of the best buts its not very friendly to plants so only for use where run off can be controlled.

Beware of brush in pointing. Most are total crap. one or 2 are not bad.

What is path fix?

Sponsored Links
Are they just concrete slabs? If so then pressure wash them.

As for re-pointing then brushing in is a waste of time, it needs to be compacted as much as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back