Loose patio slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a few loose / rocking patio slabs in my garden and also on the steps leading up to the house. I suspect they are just laid on sand and the sand has sunk.

I was thinking of lifting and re-seating on a morta mix. What is the best ratio of sand and cement for sitting the slabs on and also for re-pointing the morta joints?

Also, is it just cement I need and sharp sand (or is it some other type of sand I need?)

Thank you

Sponsored Links
er, I'd ignore the advice on that page, if I was you. The 5-spot method is doomed to failure - honest.

There's loads of posts in here on laying slabs. In brief, OP, you can use a 4-1 mix of building sand and cement for your mortar (note correct spelling!) or a 3-1-1 building sand-sharp snad-cement mix for even more stability. Just make sure what the mortar goes down onto aint gonna move either.

Sponsored Links
The 5-spot method is doomed to failure - honest.

Yea, you're absolutely right! I read it in the wiki not so long ago, but forgot the term. Sorry, should have mentioned it to 'garrymum' :oops:.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back