'brushing in' patio slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What mix of cement and sand should i use to 'brush in' between the paving slabs on my patio?

I had lots of different ratios given to me - what's the best?

Sponsored Links
I prefer sand. Then when it rains the water washes away without sitting on the patio.

Dry-lean is best for setting and brushing, 10 sand to 1 cement and it still allows water to drain. Don't let it mix too long in the mixer though or the cement will ball together and if your sand is very dry just add a fine spray of water to dampen it down without wetting it.

Remember to lime the body! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
1:10 is too weak a mix to point them. I always use a 1:3 mix slightly damp. Use a small bucket to guage the mix and mix it in a larger bucket by hand, that way you get a more controlled mix. Add just a touch of water to it.
Wet the joints with a watering can and wait till the surface has dryed off then sweep it in at a 45 degree angle to the joints. Use your jointing tool to firm it in and then top it up again. Leave it for a good few hours to let the capillary action work and then go back and strike it.

You should also check with the manufacturers instructions as to what they recomen, as not all slabs should be dry or wet jointed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back