Best treatment for these doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best product to put on these doors to keep them looking natural rather than add a glossy varnish to them? They are oak veneered.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 7C4C3C71-BBB5-4BE3-80E6-6F30A1B1253D.jpeg
    7C4C3C71-BBB5-4BE3-80E6-6F30A1B1253D.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 241
Sponsored Links
Just noticed on Wickes site it says...

Door requires finishing using a suitable Ronseal paint, stain or varnish found in your local branch. These doors are not suitable for treatment/finishing with any kind of oil, wax or polish which will cause the oak veneer to de-laminate

Any suggestions for the product you’d use?

I'd use a satin or matt varnish.

Satin starts out looking natural, but if your put on three or four coats it starts to get a sheen.

Use a colourless varnish, not a tinted one. If you want to improve the colour, use a spirit-based wood dye such as colron (not the water based "refined" one) after light sanding and cleaning, and before you start to varnish.

Sponsored Links
Just noticed on Wickes site it says...

Door requires finishing using a suitable Ronseal paint, stain or varnish found in your local branch. These doors are not suitable for treatment/finishing with any kind of oil, wax or polish which will cause the oak veneer to de-laminate

Any suggestions for the product you’d use?
I wonder why that is I have 12 oak veneer doors from a few suppliers - ebay - insolvency stock - seconds from local manufactures and I have used carls hardwax on all of them and not seen any veneer pealing, never even thought it would of been a problem, maybe I have been lucky. The hard wax gives a lovely non varnished look and does not fill the grain, one coat of that with a nother coat of their hardwax reviver and a buff up - not polish. But it is not cheap so maybe not something you could buy to do a test with incase if if doesn't work out.
I would also sand in-between coats and even the lightest of touches with the finest grade for the final finish if you can feel any rough areas especially in the groves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back