Best treatment for old stripped wooden doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Could anyone recommend what we should use on our wooden doors to finish them- they were put in the the 1920's and now we've moved in we have had them dipped. What would be the best thing to put on them now so the wood is nourished? We don't want a glossy varnish on them, but want something that will nourish the wood as it seems quite dry and has lots of small cracks.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The only kind of wood you can 'nourish' is the kind that's still growing.

Stripping doors by dipping them causes damage, and reveals all the faults which were meant to be covered by the filler and paint used when they were originally installed.

The best thing to do with them in my view is to seal any knots, fill the cracks and holes, prime and paint them.

I would oil them or wax them. If you are not keen on re-doing this every year, then varnish them and wax over the top to keep the Tacky varnished look at bay.

Sponsored Links
I'm now on my 6th door and found everyone had cracks from the stripping process. If you want to get rid of the cracks, sand the doors down and collect the sawdust. Mix the sawdust up with glue and paste into all the cracks, then sand again. It takes time but the end result is good.

I finished my doors by sealing them (sanding sealant) and then applying wax.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back