Replace old wooden door - but with what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my parents house they have a large wooden door to the rear - it's heavy and solid and the only issue is that it seems to have developed some gaps that let draughts through.

Now looking at replacemented - UPVC is out of the question as they don't want a bottom lip. So that leaves a composite door or a wooden door.

Now I had a look at composite doors and there are just so many choices I gave up. Now if they replace the old wooden door with a new wooden door - would it be best to replace the whole frame as well?

If they go for a wooden door- what type of wood is best - looking really for something that is lowish maintenance and good security.

Sponsored Links
So my parents house they have a large wooden door to the rear - it's heavy and solid and the only issue is that it seems to have developed some gaps that let draughts through.

Now looking at replacemented - UPVC is out of the question as they don't want a bottom lip. So that leaves a composite door or a wooden door.

Now I had a look at composite doors and there are just so many choices I gave up. Now if they replace the old wooden door with a new wooden door - would it be best to replace the whole frame as well?

If they go for a wooden door- what type of wood is best - looking really for something that is lowish maintenance and good security.

A composite is probably the best way forward, but that comes down to price points, could well entail a new frame.

A composite is probably the best way forward, but that comes down to price points, could well entail a new frame.

So a hard wood door plus frame vs composite - what should I be looking for? I really don't know what makes a good composite door - I know hardwood when I see it lol!

Price points - want something solid, substantial and secure. Doesn't need glazing.

So a hard wood door plus frame vs composite - what should I be looking for? I really don't know what makes a good composite door - I know hardwood when I see it lol!

Price points - want something solid, substantial and secure. Doesn't need glazing.

Still comes down to price, they go from x to OMFGG!

Sponsored Links
About 10k for super high security doors, more than most people would need or require. But with those, if you lock yourself out, you're probably better off breaking a hole in the wall.

Anyway, you could have a start here to give you some ideas.

Posted from a thread you contributed to BTW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back