Custom hardware door frame advice needed please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys.
Ive got to replace the door and rotten frame (still the original one) on this OLD cottage in the Peak District.
Now Ive done lots of internal door replacements and a few UPVC external doors, but not an external wooden door frame and door of this nature...

1-3.jpg

Wall thickness for comedy value :LOL:
wall1.jpg

ok, so Ive measured up the door frame as I would for a UPVC one and it comes out at some (not surprisingly) weird and non standard sizes...

72" x 34"

I've looked all over and am struggling to find anywhere that will make a custom hardwood door frame to this size (and door to fit of course)

Anyone got any ideas on supplier or any innovative ideas :?:

thanks

Sponsored Links
ok. well by luck Ive found a pukka place nearby.
A proper quality joinery firm.

They will happily make the custom door and frame but have left me with a couple of minor dilemmas.

Softwood or hardwood?

I was going to go hardwood without a doubt (oak)
Do you all agree? this cottage door takes a major beating from the peak district weather..

Single glazed or double glazed?

They can do much more intricate routed edges with single glazed but double glazed doesnt leave them much material to work with!

Im thinking double glazed with rounded edges only on the timber and forget the fancy pattern?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back