Possible to add a hwood window frame to a std. door frame ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm in the process of changing a UPVC rear (external) door & frame to hardwood.

The doorway has a window next to it, that is not full length.

I've approached numerous door & frame manufacturers, who tell me that it is not possible to get a hardwood door frame with a non-full length sidelight in flat pack.

This means the whole frame has to be custom made (according to them).

The price for a flat pack hardwood frame is around £40 + vat. For a custom frame, it's about £330 + vat (cheapest so far).

So, I enquired about the possibility of buying a standard hardwood frame in, and then just adding the hardwood window frame on (this has to be cheaper).

I cannot find anyone to do this. They all want to build the whole frame.

Given I'm going to get a carpenter to fit it all anyway, I was wondering if I should just buy some extra hardwood with the flat pack door frame, and ask him to make the window frame while he's fitting the rest of it.

Is this a tall order?

If the above to too much to ask, then should joinery shops be willing to make just a standard window frame?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Talk to your carpenter - he may make one for you, or know someone who will.

I have never had a problem getting custom size windows made by small local carpenters at less than the sheds charge for standard sizes.

Why are you trying to get it in one piece .
The normal method would be to fit a doorframe with a window next to it, if it isn't afull length sidelight.

a joiner can change the size of a wooden window or door frame using a saw.

It is very easy for a fixed-light window, but considerably more work if you want an opening one.

If it is made up to an odd size you will have to order double glazing to fit (in the fixed light beside my front door, I fitted self-made double glazing but this is not often done these days. It needs a pressure-equalising breathing pinhole to the outside to prevent condensation.)

BTW if you are having a side-light, try to get the letter box built into the side frame. and have the door hinges on this side. This will distance it from the doorknob and lock and frustrate one of the easy ways of breaking in using a simple home-made tool through the letterbox to turn a key or handle.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

chappers:

It doesn't have to be all in one piece, but it would be nice if the door \ window frame matched. I don't want a window \ door frame and door that are all different hardwoods. It will look like I went down to reclamation yard and took what was available.

JohnD:

I spoke to my carpenter today, and he said he could make the window frame, but I would have to buy 'hardwood double glazing section'.
I checked with my local timber yard that stocks hardwood (only one does), and they don't do that. I was told I'd have to buy the rough timber, and have a joinery shop cut the section....

Even if the door doesn't match the frame, that's fine, but the window frame has to match the door frame.

Can anyone point me to a hardwood door frame with window frame that can be taken in by my carpenter? Once I know what I'm looking for, I can look around for the best prices.

Thanks.

I would have expected the place that sells your door frame, to also sell a matching hardwood window frame in the same range. You just need one bigger than your required final size so that it can be cut down. It will be made of the correct sections for a window frame; they will just need cutting to size and re-jointing. Apart from that it should match the door frame. From my limited experience, I would get one more that four inches wider than your finished size, so that the mortices in the head and sill can be cut right off and new ones made. Otherwise there may be open-sided holes.

I am assuming that they will not have a window frame in their range of the exact size you need, but you never know. It could be packed out an inch or two at the sides if necessary.

I am a householder not a joiner.

The terms carpenter and joiner are quite carelessly used, but technically a joiner should be able to make a new door or frame from scratch including mortice and tenon joints, whereas a carpenter need only be able to do quite rough work but also fix a ready-made frame to the wall. However there is a lot of overlap between the trades depending on their training and experience

Hello JohnD,

Yes, the people who sell the door frame should also sell the window frame too, to match.

I think what's happening here, is that there are lots of discount outlets that have started selling boxes, and you buy what they've got to offer, or not at all.

I get the impression also that the established joinery shops don't want to do the flat pack option because there's less of a margin in it for them.

I'll keep trying until I find someone that can sell me both in flat pack form.

Many Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back