New Timber Door Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm not risking this one as a DIY'er but hoping for a bit of advice.

I've just bought a new oak front door and door frame. The carpenter is surprised that the door frame has come as flat-packed as five lengths of timber and not ready-made to insert the gap once the old frame has been removed. I'm concerned that expectations has been mis-matched and that he'll want more money.

I bought the frame/door from a regular online company and most of these companies seems to sell the frames in this way.

Is it unreasonable for the door frame to have been delivered in this way?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
No, not really. Where the difference comes is that if you (as a carpenter) are working on price there is one price for installling a frame (pre-made) and another, higher, price for assembling and installing - because, obviously, it takes longer. Certainly in my area local joinery works will always deliver to site ready assembled. I wouldn't expect a mail-order company to do that because it would just cost too much to ship. Did you tell him before he quoted that it would arrive flat-packed and require assembly?

OK, thanks, makes sense. No I don't tell him before he quoted - I didn't even think of it, but he also didn't ask me if it would be pre-assembled or flat-packed.

Thanks for the help.

I am surprised you carpenter is surprised, sounds like he has not had a lot of experience, quite common for external frames to come in bits, this allows them to be inward or outward opening depending on use.[keeps price down as well]

Sponsored Links
IF, your chap asks for more money, it can`t be that much as it is hardly a major undertaking, knocking up a pre made door frame. (Offer to do it yourself) ;)

Hi - I'm not risking this one as a DIY'er but hoping for a bit of advice.

I've just bought a new oak front door and door frame. The carpenter is surprised that the door frame has come as flat-packed as five lengths of timber

Many thanks.

What are the five lengths? send some pic's, your carpenter sound's a bit iffey

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back