Door frame projection - new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built a 50mm timber stud partition and lined it with 12.5mm plasterboard. I have bought ready made door frames and want to know how much they should project beyond the face of the plasterboard bearing in mind that the board will be skimmed. Do I leave them out until the plastering is done, or fit them now? Does the face of the door frame stay as the finished painted edge or do you line it with more timber after the plastering??

Sponsored Links
Putting the door frame in first makes life easier for the plasterer to work to. Allow the thickness of the plaster both side, if it's too wide, rip it down the correct width.

...and then cover the joint between lining & plaster with architrave. If you've had a tidy plasterer he will have washed the residue off the edges of the lining so you can get a decent paint finish there. If not, scrape & sandpaper it off when dry.

Thanks guys. So I am looking to leave the face of the lining about 3mm proud then so that it will be flush when the board is skimmed? The lining is 80mm thick, so 50mm + 12.5 + 12.5 leaves 2.5mm a side for skim, sound right to you?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back