Door frame and timber confusion

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi there,

Im about to embark on builidng a downstairs WC which of course involves studwork and framing. Confident with abilities once Iv planned appropriately and looking for help here.

So im building the walls with 3x2 studwork but the studs measure about 70x40mm. Is that standard for 3x2 studs? (nominal vs actual etc.)

Accounting for the fact that i will have 12.5mm plasterboard each side and a skimcoat of plaster (ive read approx 3mm each side) what is the timber depth I should be using for the door frame/liner?

Building providers gave me timber 108mm deep which seems to be a realtively common size for "3x2" stud walls but by my estimation the lining will overshoot the wall (even after plaster) by total of about 7/8mm. Am I missing something? help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
No , not at all , you simply trim the lining to suit the stud wall thickness

oh ok, I guess i just didnt want to have to try and trim the door lining if i could avoid it by sourcing different timber. Is it standard enough to trim the door frame like that?

I suppose it doesnt matter too much if its not perfectly straight since an architrave will cover those imperfections?

once its plumb is the main thing i suppose

Yes it's standard

Don't you have any confidence you can saw in a straight line?

Practise on a scrap bit of wood, cut to the waste side of your line and look over the saw whilst your cutting , this will allow you to see if the saw is straight and if you look to the side of the saw you will always end up with a crooked cut as you can't see if your saw is crooked or not

Sponsored Links
Oh and don't forget to blow away the sawdust as you're cutting so you don't lose sight of your line

you actually need a clean crisp edge as the architrave is set back by perhaps 9mm

@sircerebus666 yes i do actually have confidence in straight line cutting. I dont know why Im making a fuss i sometimes just get caught in a rabbit hole of over thinking. Getting reassurance or pointers from experts here helps get me over those humps. thanks

@big-all can you elaborate? the architrave is set back? do you mean set back from the frame away from the door?

your door lining will be around 32mm you architraves are set back from the corner say 9mm so you pin in the nose off the architrave into the frame in the remaining 23mm so wont cover all the cut edge

ok i understand thanks. straight cut it is so

rule of thumb, plaster first before door lining? so dry lining doesnt absorb moisture from plaster?

The lining goes in and the plaster goes up to it - hopefully flush. Otherwise you get noticeable tapered or bumpy plaster edges

You certainty don't want to be reducing a door lining, it will look a right mess unless you have the skills to produce dead flat and square joinery.

You should allow for 3-5mm of skim, and if need be pack out one or both sides of the wall to get the board surface in the right place.

Otherwise you can mask a slightly thicker or thinner wall with the architrave and some caulk.

The lining goes in and the plaster goes up to it - hopefully flush. Otherwise you get noticeable tapered or bumpy plaster edges

You certainty don't want to be reducing a door lining, it will look a right mess unless you have the skills to produce dead flat and square joinery.

You should allow for 3-5mm of skim, and if need be pack out one or both sides of the wall to get the board surface in the right place.

Otherwise you can mask a slightly thicker or thinner wall with the architrave and some caulk.
this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back