Composite door in timber frame porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has a small tiled porch roof with gallows brackets outside the front door. I decided to box this in with a timber frame and cladding. The idea was to put a door in the middle with windows to either side. The whole thing is only just under 2m wide and about 75cm deep. I started off thinking it isn't load bearing as I'm leaving the gallows brackets so just knocked up a frame with 3x2 CLS. Then I got a used outward opening door hinged on the left - exactly what I needed but when I collected it I realised how much it weighed, being a composite door.
My question is will my timber frame be up to the job with a much heavier door than I had envisaged when I put up the frame or do I need to beef it up somehow? I was planning on not having much board between the studs as much of it was going to be windows but now I'm not so sure that will be possible with this door?

Assuming I can use this door, how much of a gap should I allow around it as the wood is going to change size with the seasons but the door frame won't budge, I'm thinking 5mm all round filled with foam?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back