Porch out of casement windows?...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a little enclosed porch on the back door (I've attached an image of the sort of thing I'm thinking of). I've built up the dwarf wall and am now thinking of the best way to build the timber frame. I've looked at much grander porches and conservatories to see how they are constructed. I'm thinking of three options:

1) Build a frame out of (e.g. 70x70mm HW timber) and infill with bespoke fixed windows ordered from the internet.
2) Just fix together the HW windows ordered from the internet.
3) Incorporate a rebate into the frame itself to take the glass (I'm only looking at single glazing) and don't bother with the internet.

How do the porch and conservatory manufacturers do it? I can't find any designs or specifications for this sort of thing anywhere.

TIA!

Attachments

• porch.JPG
    porch.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, make it out of standard windows, just allow for corner posts and a half post to the wall.

If you want to make yourself, make frames out of 70 x 45mm planed all round timber.

Machine groove into bottom of frame, inside for window board, outside for cill

Then screw together the frames - just butt jointed (top and bottom run through, jambs go in between)

Make as separate frames and use separate corner post and wall posts.

Cut suitable moulding and mitre around for the rebate
Buy some glazing bead and mitre around for the glass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back