Rotten porch needs overhaul - timber window frame mouldings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a porch on the back of my house - the lower half of the walls are brick, with timber framed windows / door making up the rest of it, and a flat roof. Pretty-much all of the timber is rotten and in need of replacing.

What I'd like to do is replace the timber framework, then install some custom (i.e. cheap, home-made) windows / frames in to the gaps left. I'm struggling to find anywhere that I can source timber mouldings to make the window frames out of though. I'm not bothered about the windows opening at all, so all I really need is a square of suitable timber that I can slot some glass in to (or maybe sealed units).

Anyone have any recommendations for where to source timber mouldings to make window frames from? Presumably I need the right shape of moulding so rain flows out rather than in as it runs down the glass.

Thanks,
Gareth

Sponsored Links
I'd simply buy squared up timber and shape it myself .To form the cill it's easy enough to just use a power or hand plane for the majority of the work and after that a couple of router bit such as a rebate cutter and a moulding of your choice.
Other than that try any decent timber suppliers who will normally supply rebated and shaped sections for a price.

Hi,
Presumably I need the right shape of moulding so rain flows out rather than in as it runs down the glass.

Wee&Poo (b&q) and Wickes both have suitable mouldings to finish the outside, used with some putty on the inside - where the glass meets the wood. Or alternatively could just use putty.

Dont forget to use putty on both inside and outside. You can get hideous noises from mildly vibrating glass! :(

As LL says I would also use PSE planed smooth timber and create a rebate for the glass to sit in too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back