Replacing garage doors with timber wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an separate garage, brick build with two wooden doors that open outward. They don;t fit all that well anymore and the timber frame is rotting in places.
As I can't use it as a garage I've decided to remove the doors and rotten frame and replace with a timber stud wall with a window and finish off with cladding.
I have a couple of questions; firstly is there any reason I wouldn't be allowed to do this due to planning or other reason? Secondly, what should be the required separation between uprights and noggins? 600mm?

EDIT: Also, do I need to add a header above the window frame or could that just be screwed into the wooden lintel above it?

Sponsored Links
Quick call to local council planning will answer question 1 , will this amount to a change in use?

Not at all, just a way of stopping the leaky doors and rotting frame. I can't see any reason why I shouldn't be allowed but wondered if anyone here has experienced it before I check with our council planners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back