Timber size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Long story short im having a pain of a time picking some timber sizes so I was wondering if someone here could help narrow down my options.

Simple timber frame glass house on a stone base. About 3.5m accross and 2.2m deep with a shallow porch. Basic timber (glass) roof with a gable over the door.
The width of each of the windows to be decided.

(Something like this only much smaller: http://www.hartley-botanic.co.uk/victorian-manor-glasshouse.php)

Assuming for the moment the intermittent supports that make up the frame won't contribute to the frames strength, what size would be sufficient for the 6 corner supports to provide a solid structure (take the weight of the roof, resist racking)?

Would 69mm sq. suffice? What about 75, or 100?

Sponsored Links
Whoops forgot that, thanks joinerjohn!

BTW as a joiner do you have any opinions as to my question?

Even if its only "Of course they'd all be fine you idiot" or "No of course they wouldn't you idiot, go read such and such..." all responses are helpful ;):)

Sponsored Links
Probably better off in the Building section tbh, maybe make your post a bit clearer too, a few engineers hang around there, maybe send a creepy PM to Static or RonnyRaygun and ask them to take a look. Weekdays mainly!

Can't make the picture in the link any larger, so hard to say. I'd reckon the corner posts are around 75mm-100mm in size there.
I built a lean to greenhouse for my dad in 1975,basically made of 3x2" for the frame with 1,1/2"sq glass supports on the front and 2x1" for the roofing timbers. Stood for around 20 yrs with little maintenance , apart from painting. It's still standing, although the roof has now been changed to polycarbonate roofing and most of the roof timbers have been removed. There's still original timber in the main frame of the greenhouse though. ;) ;) ;) ;)

PS he still grows tomatoes every year (bless) ;) ;) ;) ;)

You can't really go by the picture in the link as thats all alloy extrusions.

I would have said 69x69 corner posts would be upto the job, my cedar greenhouse is a similar width but a little shorter and the sections are a lot less than that.

Like Joiner I have only made one greenhouse, that was done with 3x2par with the rebates cut into that size timber.

I'd also go for greenhouse glass, its thinner than teh 4mm used on the one in your link so will save weight and its also a lot cheaper.

Jason

Hi Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry my post wasnt too clear. The picture was meant to indicate the kind of shape I wanted for the frame rather than the exact structure I was aiming for.
In fact I just saw this one and looking at the measurements its much similar to what I am going for:
http://www.hartley-botanic.co.uk/ranges/victorian_glasshouse_range_villa.php
(Although I think that one is probably alloy as well)

I am about to draw up some plans and wanted to know what the smallest size would be before I did, as if I picked timber that was too small I would have to redraw the whole lot - of course the catch is you all really need to see the plans to judge ;)

I originally picked 80mm for my sketches because I thought that looked well proportioned with the stone base but now I am designing it properly I need to consider structure and availability.

Thanks again for the responses I will now go pick some timber without worrying about it falling in on my head when done! :)

Once the plans are complete ill post them just to get a once over from the experts before ordering anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back