Making a Door and Door Frame - Help Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I am building a workshop in my garden (project here) and need some help ref the door and door frame. Due to budgets I think I am going to have to make my own door and door frame for now.

I have looked at how to make a Ledge and Brace Door but not the frame.

The door opening is 91cm x 213cm. It is a 3x2 timber frame built on a single skin breeze block wall.

How and what should I build from with?
Any advice on what to use to build the door and keep it waterproof?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just found this but there is no follow up video. The door frame will also need recesses so that the door sits up against something?

See if you can pick up a second hand front door, you can then knock up the frame to go round it, and fit the door in place. As long as you paint and seal the frame, then being soft wood, it'll be fine.

you can get any number of doors on freegle for nothing, or cheap on ebay from people throwing out fine panelled hardwood doors to put in plastic rubbish.

When I was building my sheds the lowest I paid was 99p (but I gave the vendor an extra £1.01)

you need a roofrack or a large estate and a helper.

It saves the other person having to take it to the tip.

I sold one of the locks for a tenner.

Sponsored Links
Made one for a friend with scaffold boards.
That's a fantastic looking door foxhole. I'm also looking to build a door, and potentially have a whole load of scaffold boards. Any advice on how to go about this (i.e. did you have to plane the boards before use?)
Many thanks!!

Need to pick the straight one, store indoors for a few months if possible as they shrink when drying.Plane all round.I routed a slot on edges and made 6x20mm fillets to glue in so any shrinkage did not leave opening in the door.Screwed and plugged ledger and brace timbers and finished with Danish oil mixed with oil based wood dye ( gives even colour quickly and easily ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back