Building door frames and doors from scratch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm not sure whether this should go in the Woodwork or the door and windows Forum. I've got an old garage that is seperate from the house. The walls are constructed from concrete posts and concrete panels. The doors are wooden and over time have started to rot away. At the front there two large ledger and brace doors approximately 1 cars width across. At the side there is a fairly normal door but it's undersized and I have to stoop to walk into the garage.
I'd like to remove the old doors and frames and build from scratch. I was thinking of making the door frames from 3 x 3 and using mortise & tenon joints to hold together. For the front and side doors I was planning on making ledger and brace doors.
My plan is to create the frames and the doors in the garage. Then when ready, take the old doors and frame down and install in one day. The old doors are on their last legs so if I take them down they won't go back up again.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a carpentry/woodworking/joinery book that could help with the planning?
I can find books that give details on creating the joints, but nothing so far that gives any information on ledger and brace doors. I would like to know how much clearance to leave between the door and the frame, what to do with the overlap between the front doors etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
George

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back