Making a door frame from 4"x1 1/2" timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings!
I have a lot of old 1 1/2"x4" planks of timber that I am thinking of making door frames out of
Will it work?

***Edit** I plan to install some door frames for second hand doors that I will buy for scrap from ebay. Is the standard door size 6 1/2" high by 2 1/2" wide??? I dont have the proper doors yet but while I am weighting for them I wish to build my walls and frames. Should this be the frame size for the door?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you don't know the dimensions of the doors you've bought, it would be unwise to commit to any particular size of door frame. Surely the person to ask would be the eBay seller, not some randoms on the internet. Surely the listing says the dimensions.

If you don't know the dimensions of the doors you've bought, it would be unwise to commit to any particular size of door frame. Surely the person to ask would be the eBay seller, not some randoms on the internet. Surely the listing says the dimensions.
I dont know what doors I will end up with on ebay. Ebay is a ****ass site ran and used by ****head! Therefore I do not conclude I will ever get what I ordered! so trying to get to know how big the door is off of them is as ever a waste of time. But it sells for 99p rights!

From reading on though... The net says the standard door size is 2 1/2"X 6 1/2"

From reading on though... The net says the standard door size is 2 1/2"X 6 1/2"
6ft 6in x 2ft 6in (1981 x 762mm) is A fairly common SIZE, but it isn't the only common size - for example another common size for internal doors is 6ft 6in x 2ft 3in (1981 x 686mm). But because the sizes aren't mandatory, and because door openings weren't standardised before WWII, it is often necessary to adjust the sizes of doors when you hang them. That being the case, unless you buy your doors first, or you buy only new doors (i.e. unused) you have absolutely NO idea what size to make the frames. Also, have you considered the sizes of rebates that a full thickness door requires in the frame?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
The premise of this thread is nonsense. You want us to guess what size the doors you have ordered, but don't think you are going to receive, is?
Unsubscribe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back