Door only or door & frame to fit in existing frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of an odd request but I'd appreciate some feedback if poss.

I have an extremely wide front door , c. 1055mm wide at its widest. The door is horrible, mainly glass panel and extremely ill fitting.

The exisiting frame is sound but gives an opening that varies in width quite significantly from 1050 at the top to 1045 about a third of the way down to 1050 about two thirds down to 1055 at the bottom.

Should I

1) Have a door made up to the greatest width and then cut and plane it to fit the existing frame. There's no point in measuring the existing door since it's such a dreadful fit.

2) Have a door and frame made up to the smallest width in the existing frame and fit and pack it in it to the existing frame, then cover the join in some way. The width is such that there would be no problem in this frame within a frame solution. Simply removing the existing frame is not an option as there are side windows integral to the whole thing.

I like the idea of option 2) as I the door will fit its frame perfectly and come pre-hung and fitted out. But is this a feasible solution or am I being mad.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Packing smaller frame would be preferable as if the existing is not true then planing in another frame will leave it just as bad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back