Help fitting internal french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can give me some advice please. Ive had some french doors made to fit an old non standard door frame in a period house. I have discovered that whilst the width of the combined doors correspond with the width of the top of the door frame, if I measure further down the door frame it narrows by around 4-5mm meaning that the double doors need to be trimmed. The door frame cannot be taken out as its subtanstial and I am also nervous that removing timber from the vertical hinge sides could result in the two doors binding due to misalignment etc. The face of the doors that come into contact with each other on closing I would not really want to plane down as they are rebated to recreate a draft free joint.

Does anybody have any suggestions as these doors were expensive as they are large and this makes me not want to make any mistakes for obvious reasons?

Sponsored Links
Plane hinge side , only option IMO.
You will also need to trim closing edge but should not cause a problem .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back