old wooden doors are `bleeding`

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`m not sure what the correct term is but our old wooden doors look like they are bleeding. The doors have been stripped in the past but I don't know how or if they are treated. I noticed that in some areas a brown,non-smelling liquid seems to ooze out of the wood. Any ideas what that could be and how I can treat the doors to stop it?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like wood resin mostly found in pine doors.
Your remedy is to get the doors down horizontal cabinet scrape the oozed resin off and fill with melted beeswax, followed with a couple of coats of shellac, clear if you want to varnish the doors. The shellac can be over painted with oil paints, do know about others, or of course fully painted with shellac...pinenot :)

Thanks for your reply pinenot. Do I need to use the shellac or can I just leave them natural? Would the beeswax stop the resin from reappearing?

Doubtful but you could try shellac in the ooze hole(s) then try filling them with melted beeswax, then finish with beeswax polish, should work, worth a try I would think...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Just to add to the earlier replies, the shellac is supposed to act as a barrier preventing resin from passing through. It is called knotting. However, I have knotted architraves - two coats of shellac - followed by undercoat and two top coats, and the knots have reappeared after 2 years, albeit faint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back