Best type of bonding gutter to separate semi-detached tiled roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Please can any roofers advise on which type of bonding gutter is best to join the new and the old roofs on neighboring semi-detached properties?

Arrived home tonight to find a skip on the front garden and scaffolding up at the semi adjoining my house. The house has recently been sold, I haven't met the neighbours and they've not moved in yet, but I assume they are going to have their half of the tiled roof replaced tomorrow.

My roof is fine and has no issues at all. Neither roof has been replaced before, so there is currently no bonding gutter.

Searching online, I understand a bonding gutter will need to be fitted with the new roof. As far as I can tell, the best option seems to be a pre-formed dry fix bonding gutter with a central upstand because, unlike a standard flat bonding gutter, this doesn't require any mortar to be used, which, unless applied carefully, can block the drainage channels under the tiles, and will eventually crack and fail anyway as the mortar weathers and the tiles expand and contract. Is this type best?

Obviously, I'm keen to make sure the integrity of my roof isn't damaged and that the best solution is used. I intend to ask the roofers when they arrive what they're planning to do, so, as well as the type of bonding gutter, is there anything else I should also be asking / checking on about the the felt / lining / overlap or anything else please?

Thanks very much for any help.

Sponsored Links
you could ask how much to do yours ....

sounds like at the moment you do not know what they are going to do, maybe they are going to reuse whats there or a new of the same in which no need to stress.

do you know? what roof covering do you currently have? what are they going to re roof with..

i'll also go along with cats comment above.

Thanks for the responses.

Both roofs currently have the same concrete tiles. I don't have any problems with my roof so don't need it replaced. I don't know what they're going to re-roof with as they haven't contacted me at all, but obviously, whatever they do will involve some change/disturbance to my roof, so I'm keen to find out what the best solution would be.

If they can interlock the new and old tiles that sounds like it would be best, but I don't know if that'll be possible, in which case, I assume a bonding gutter would have to be used, and that a dry fix type with an upstand would be better than a flat one using mortar?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back