Best water-based primer/undercoat for bare softwood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read a few threads about primers, but I want to make sure I've get the best answer for my particular situation.

My 100+ year old pine doors have been stripped of 100+ years of paint but are in pretty awful shape - lots of grain, scratches and gouges. I've filled and sanded but now trying to get the best finish I can. I tried a crown primer/undercoat which was pretty hard to use. It dragged and bubbled for some reason and seems to go on quick unevenly.

Can someone recommend a good water-based primer/undercoat? I say water-based because, to be honest, I can't do with the cleaning of oil-based paints!

I'm actually OK with expensive. I've put enough work into these damned doors that I'd rather get them as good as I can.

Sponsored Links
Coverstsin or I'd you Zinsser BIN.. I don't think any wb primer is going to work for those doors tbh.
Warm some rattle cans on BIN and spray is easiest way to block the wax/stain and anything else in the wood. I do know of a few wb that you could use but doubt they would work..
isomat block primer... Maybe but I don't think that's the best bet..

Thanks for your replies. They will be painted and there is nothing at all on them now - just bare wood - they've been stripped within an inch of their lives.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back