Best Water-Based Satin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to embark on the full redecorating of my home and trying to decide on the best paint to use for the woodwork. It was a new build when I purchased four years ago so it will be its first redecorating. The woodwork was originally painted with what I assume was an oil-based paint, due to the significant yellowing.

I would like to go with a water-based satin for the woodwork and have done some research to narrow down to a few options. But I am looking for some advice from anybody with more knowledge or experience of using these brands and variants. My shortlist at present is:

- Johnstones Trade Aqua Guard
- Dulux Trade Diamond Satinwood
- Crown Trade Fastflow Quick Dry Satin

For the Johnstones, I believe the Aqua Guard is better than the standard Aqua variant, and similarly the Dulux Diamond better than the Quick Dry variant. But happy to reconsider if anybody can advise otherwise. I'd also welcome any other recommendations.

My main considerations on selecting from the above are ease of application, quality of finish, and durability. The more googling I do, the more mixed reviews I seem to find.

I'd also be interested in advice on primer / undercoat requirements for each of the above. I understand that I will need to lightly sand the existing oil-based finish to provide a key, but what more will be required? Also considering that there is some minor repairs required with a filler and / or caulk.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You can try all 3 and find the one you like. I doubt there would be a large visual difference. But, I wouldn't use different paints on the same piece. I don't bother to sand before priming. The primer is to stick. If it doesn't stick, sanding probably won't help. I have seen no obvious problem by not sanding.

I have aqua guard and consider it good enough for all my interior tasks. The brush glides with it, even on cheaper no-nonsense wood primer. This primer gives a sandpaper like finish in terms of hand feel. Once cured, aqua guard gives a slightly slippery feel, which I like without knowing why. Rushed application of multiple coats of aqua guard after touch dry produced no problems for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back