Johnstone's trade Aqua Guard Satin on stripped bare skirting boards/sills and door frames. Priming and plan of action.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been doing a lot of reading about various water based satins and decided to go for Johnstone's trade Aqua Guard satin, as this paint is fully water based and is said to be quite hardwaring and durable. I'm aware that oil based paints and hybrids are much better, but I don't want any yellowing (parts of the room don't get any sunlight, the walls are also going to be brilliant white so any yellowing will stick out like a sore thumb).

I've stripped all the old paint and loose old filler from the skirting boards (see picture)

My plan of action is this.

1. Carry on filling holes and dents with white wood filler.
2. Sand the white wood filler level with 80 grit sandpaper.
3. Fully prime? Or maybe just spot prime knots with something?
4 Let it dry.
5. Light sand with 180 grit sandpaper.
6. Undercoat with Johnstone's Aqua undercoat.
7. Let it dry
8. .Light sand with 240 grit sandpaper
9. Paint a coat of the Aqua Guard .
10. Let it dry.
11. Paint another coat of the Aqua Guard .
12. Sit back, relax and marvel.

My main question is. Do I really need to fully prime the bare wood or just spot prime the knots or is there no need to prime at all as i'm going to be using Johnstone's Aqua undercoat?

If I do, which primer is a good one for 60 year old bare wood?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2693.JPG
    IMG_2693.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Zinsser BIN over the lot.
Aqua undercoat
Aqua guard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back