Best Water Purifier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone recommend a good water purifier, a friend of mine had the Aquathin system, the water tasted really smooth, but just enquired, they want to shaft me £1800 for the system and 'free' installtion.

Anyone recommend a system that doesn't cost the earth, what are the metal tanks used for? As the cheaper cartridge only systems dont use these.
Any recommendations most appreciated.
Found these but im not sure.

http://www.purewateronline.co.uk/centre_store.html

Sponsored Links
Try Liff. Their filters are big enough to give a decent flow rate and you can combine them to give more, or to filter out different nasties.
Much better than the £30 kits in B&Q.

The Seagull one which gives 3.8l/min (piddling) at £285 is way OTT.

Er.....what "nasties" do you need to filter from your supply? If it's as bad as that, you could take your water suplier to court. If it is a health hazard (or why would it need purifying) why aren't the surrounding population suffering from the effects? Most of the water (if not all) supplied through water mains is surgical qualiity, and if it needs filters I suspect that you couldn't afford the type needed.

oilman said:
Er.....what "nasties" do you need to filter from your supply? If it's as bad as that, you could take your water suplier to court. If it is a health hazard (or why would it need purifying) why aren't the surrounding population suffering from the effects? Most of the water (if not all) supplied through water mains is surgical qualiity, and if it needs filters I suspect that you couldn't afford the type needed.

Limescale and chlorine are the only things that come to mind. Believe it or not the chlorine in tap water is enough to burn some people. One of whom is my step mother. They had a unit with RO and the works fitted, cost nearly £4k

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
Er.....what "nasties" do you need to filter from your supply? If it's as bad as that, you could take your water suplier to court. If it is a health hazard (or why would it need purifying) why aren't the surrounding population suffering from the effects?
I can see where you're coming from but the problem is, can we trust the water company before it's too late? The Water Companies add chorline to our drinking water to control the bacteria but chorine is also harmful to our health by causing forms of cancer as well as gastrointestinal illness. The chorline doesn't always kill all the bacteria that is supposed to. H&S are recommending to invest in a good filter for your tap. I have a 3 filters system which controls Chorline, THM's, Arsenic, Barium, Cadmium, Copper, Lead, Magnesium, Aluminium, Iron, Fluoride & Sediment. I must admit I haven't heard some of them!

I rather have my health than suing the water supplier.

"What nasties?" I was persuaded, much against rational judgement, that we should buy one of those filter jug thingies. Now I know that the water from the jug taste much better than the stuff from the tap. I'm not convinced tap water is going to kill me, but on taste grounds I don't drink it. I have occasional twinges of anxiety about what might be happening in the jug that sits there with water in it all the time - getting washed once a month when the filter needs changing.....

nstreet said:
..........Believe it or not the chlorine in tap water is enough to burn some people. One of whom is my step mother. They had a unit with RO and the works fitted, cost nearly £4k

If the chlorine has been such a big problem, then some publicity would be useful. I hate the stuff, but it will evapourate from the water if it is stood (but for how long I don't know) or boiled. However the attitude of water companies is bottom line greed nowadays (and they are mostly foreign owned thanks to miscellaneous governments).

I couldn't agreed with you more, I still have the newspaper cuttings below.
oilman said:
If the chlorine has been such a big problem, then some publicity would be useful.

The Times Tuesday February 22 2002
Thames Water was fined £250,000 for allowing Five million gallons of chemicals and raws sewage to pollute the thames and flooding homes in Kent. Householders who has to be evacuated and spent Christmas in hotels, suffered headaches, nausea and breathing difficulties.

The Daily Telegraph Thursday, October 15 1998
A team of french scientists claimed to have found the first direct link between Alzheimer's disease and trace of aluminium in tap water. People who drink water containing more than 100 microgrammes of aluminium per litre double the risk of contracting Alzheimer's. Most of the cases were in the 22 towns where the level of aluminium in the tap water was more than 100 microgrammes per litre.

The Guardian Wednesday November 4 1998
The Government warned people with weak immune systems not to drink any water - without boiling it first, because of health risk. It goes far further than prevoius announcements about danger from cryptosporidium, a microbe that can cause life- threating gastroenteritis in people in risky groups as well diarrhoea, vomiting and stomach pains in less vulnerable. The parasite cryptosoridiosis is believed to spread from the droppings off farm animals washed off pasture land into surface water supplies. Water Companies are facing a new criminal charge, accompanied by unlimited fines for allowing more than one egg from the organism in each 10 litres of water.

The Daily Telegraph Saturday, January 9 1999
Research by Government water inspectors suggests millions of people are threatened by dangerous chemicals in rivers, lakes and canals. More than 11 million people are supplied with tap water containing the high levels of lead, while almost 5 million get water with aluminium levels above minimum recommended levels

Those of you who think the water jug are for better taste is not a filter system, I have 3 filters system which controls of all above and cost me in 1999 £230. The filters is change every 6 month which cost a total of £40 which work out £1.53 per week and cheaper than bottle water, some bottle water you buy can be over 2 years old!

Whether any of this is true what I have written or not, but I not perpare to take a risk with my health.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back