Best way to depaint copper pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to made some plumbing amends at a friend's place and I needed to remove the paint from the copper pipe before extending the pipework using Speedfit (same would apply for soldered connections, I guess). I scraped, then wire-wooled, even tried a sanding block and pan scrubber. But it took ages.

Is there a super tool you can use which clamps like a pipe cutter, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Heat the pipe up ,softens the paint and easier to remove. A blow torch ,if safe to use in the area ,makes short work of paint removal.

If the paint is peeling, try a pair of pliers, the rounded part of the jaws, turned back and fourth around the pipe.

I just use flat edge of knife, chisel , screwdriver , ( whatever’s to hand) to scrape off 90% of the paint and finish with wire wool ,

Sponsored Links
On 15mm pipe, I use a piece of 22mm pipe freshly cut with a pipe slice. The internal burr is sharp and curved and great for scraping paint. On 22mm pipe, use offcuts of 28mm.

Peel Tec. Going to have to give it change to work then scouring pad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back