Best way to fill hole after removing overflow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My way is to mark the overflow pipe with pen so I can confirm the depth of the external wall (conc block internal, 50mm cavity and then brick/block exterior with Marmorit render). Remove the pipe and then push a plug in as stoppers (cork) on the internal leaf and do the same on the external.

Fill with expanding form. After it sets, scrap away the top surface and finish with matching render on external and mortar on the exposed conc block on inside.

Has anyone got a better idea?

With regard to the render finish, would the render form a round crack over time (shrinkage). Do I need to put a small piece of expamet or similar?

Positive replies would be gratefully received

Sponsored Links
If it's only small holes, i wouldn't bother with the foam or expamet lath. I'd plug the holes inside and out as you said, then spray a little water into each hole just to damp down,,,, fill them up with mortar, pushing/packing it into the hole with a small piece wood or similar. When it's flush, dress/clean it off neatly and leave it for a while. Smooth it over with, say a small pointing trowel, then give it a rub it over with damp sponge. It shouldn't crack if you wet it down first, and the mortar is well packed in. Don't make the mortar too wet either. For the hole inside the property,, leave a mm or so, to allow for a little plaster to finish it off.

Roughcaster.

Clear and unambiguous response. Really appreciate that.

For the record (other users), the pipe is 22m diameter.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back