Best way to heat a freestanding room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I am converting a former garage into an office. It's around 23 square metres. Ideally I would like to install underfloor heating on the wooden subfloor. Is this adequate for a primary heat source? I like the carbon mats but I'm not sure if they are powerful enough (160 Watts/sq m). I'd rather not have to use screed if possible, and I do not want to install any plumbing - electric only. What is the best way of doing it, and should I look at storage or solid fuel heaters instead?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Walls are breeze block and will be lined with insulation and plasterboard. It's got a flat, double-skinned tin roof held up by beams. The space under these will be filled with insulation and a plasterboard ceiling put up.

It would be a massive amount of work to fit an UFH which would give a maximum of about 1500 watts. Cost about £900 for materials plus a lot of work!

A cheaper and perhaps better solution would be a nice 2.6 kW rad! Cost about £200 for materials.

It would be timed at the same hours as the house with a rad as opposed to a UFH which would need to be heated two hours before its occupied!

Tony

Sponsored Links
How about a 2 x 2kW thermostatically controlled, timed oil filled rads? Cost about £60 the pair, installation cost nuffink.

Sounds really good from a budget point of view. Will they be warm enough to heat an office to work in all day?

Great. Thanks to all for your help. Oil-filled dragons it is!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back