Best way to lay paving slabs for front garden drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all!

I've just picked up a load of 60cm x 60cm x 5cm paving slabs from someone, and am wanting to lay them loosely over the current grass so that the car can be parked on them.

Someone mentioned to me to put a layer of pea shingle down first and then put the paving slabs on, filling the gaps in between the slabs with more pea shingle.

Would this method be the best most economical way?

Sponsored Links
It is a terrible bodge of a job and they will almost certainly crack the first time you drive on them.

If its just temporary and you don't mind that then go ahead.

If you want to do it properly you need to remove the grass and excavate to allow a 150mm deep compacted sub-base and 50 mm bedding on strong mortar.

Thanks r896neo that's very useful, I won't waste time on the shoddy half-job of the pea-shingle way now! :)

Would Granular Sub Base MOT1 from e.g. wickes etc. be recommended for the 150mm deep compacted sub-base?

(they're selling 850kg for £65 including delivery, is that a good price?)

Cheers! :)

Sponsored Links
MOT type 1 is just the ticket, 150mm compacted.

I pay 13 quid a ton from my merchant but am in northern ireland and the regional variation is enormous, phone a couple of local merchants and check their price.

For general info check out paving expert.com its superb and if you have any specific queries come back on here to ask.

Good luck and good on you for doing it right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back