Remove Stones (slabs) and lay grass from garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am first time buyer and first time garden DIYer.

Our garden is fully paved with stones (slabs) and bricks. At the far end its paved with stones which I think is about 20 years old. I would like to get rid of the slabs (square) and lay grass lawn. When I lifted one slab and I can see sand is laid underneath as base. Between slabs there is no cement. So its just loose slabs.

Any idea how to approach this project? Unfortunately I have to do most stuff myself (or as much as possible) as I am on low budget.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Remove as much sand as possible - it doesn't hold water, or nutrients meaning you'll be watering the grass & feeding the grass all the time and it will be weak.
Then dig down 4-5 inches, take all rubble out that is bigger than say, a matchbox and any roots you find.. Level up, cover with topsoil and then you'll be ready to lay the turf.

A lot of people cut corners with turf, but good prep is everything, imo. It's not an easy job physically and with the time it takes, just done it myself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back