Best way to remove old silicone in a shower cubicle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi :)

i have a few bits where the water has started to get behind and these come away fairly easily, problem is i'm trying to renew it all so it'll look better and the bits which are ok are a knightmare to remove

i'm cutting it with a knife at the min, but its taking me ages as i'm trying to be carefull not to slip and scratch anything :confused:

any tips or tricks to getting it off??

should i just be removing the dodgy sections and just reaplying where the gaps are?? i thought of this but thought it'd probably look a bit gash :confused:

cheers for your time

Chris :)

edited title to make it fit

Sponsored Links
Chris
There is a chemical for removing silicone you can purchase from Screwfix.
Just take off the heavy bits first as you were doing and apply the gel to remove the stubborn sections.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Stanley blade to remove the bulk and a chemical silicone remover to remove the film. HG do a good one that can be bought from most good tile merchants. Dow Corning do a good one too.

I would definatley remove all the silicone rather than just bits. The fact that it is starting to go may be the clue that it is past its use by date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back