Best way to cut and remove galvanised pipe fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some advice on removing some old pipe that was left in place in our cloak room. It's as tough as old boots so guessing its galvanised steel/iron (think it was originally the feed from the old water mains up to the old tank in loft).

What I’ve got is the end of threaded joint sticking out from the wall by about 3mm - my thoughts are try and remove enough to get it back under the surface and patch over the top.

I’ve got a multi-tool (probably not powerful enough – but easy to get access), reciprocating saw (not sure if I have enough access) and angle grinder (not my favourite tool).

Any suggestions/advice on what to do and what blade I need to buy?

Sponsored Links
Is there any possibility of gripping the stub very tight and seeing if it will undo from a joint further back - assuming that there's no access to yank it back from the other side? Mind you if its only 3mm protruding then its unlikely.
To cut it, an angle grinder is the way but the circular slitting disc will gouge a groove in the wall, of course - but you'll have to do some filling anyway.
John :)

Thanks John.
I fear the bit sticking out is part of a T joint and I think the other arms attached to a pipes fully embedded in a solid wall (though I will try grabbing it with some mole grips to see if it will undo). Sounds like the angle grinder is the way forward - will any metal cutting disc do or should I be looking for something specific?

You've a choice really.....the best disc is a steel slitting disc, which are very thin - 1mm or 1.5mm. However, a grinding disc will do just that - grind the stump down. If you intend to grind you'll get a spray of hot steel particles which could interfere with the decor - the choice is yours! I'd guess there isn't an issue with a bit of heat build up? If there is, just cut a bit at a time, allowing things to cool.

Sponsored Links
if it is indeed Galvanised pipe be very careful cutting it with any kind of disc and make sure you use proper protective masks this stuff can be Lethal

Thanks for the help.
I tried to unscrew it but no joy (a piece of wire confirmed the pipe in the wall does up and down). Also it sticks to a magnet so iron of some sort.
Definitely not a gas pipe (or if it was it's not now and the end is open). have attached small pic below
DSC_0055.JPG
Current decor nothing to worry about but like to keep the fireworks to a minimum (though it really doesn't stick out much)
Shame it's near the corner of the room otherwise the old strategically placed mirror/picture would have been tempting.

As there's already a little damage I'd get in there with a 1mm slitting disc in a 4 1/2" angle grinder......as the discs are so thin, the fireworks are minimal.

It you use a bolster and cut a V channel into the wall, with the pipe in the middle of that V - That'll let you cut a corresponding V into the pipe, then when you fill the hole it should cover back to the original wall level.

When it's cut off - cover the metal with some old oil paint - or you might get rust bleeding through the filler.;)

++++++++++++++
unhelpful post removed
++++++++++++++

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's a gas pipe bernerdgreen will be along shorty to advise. He altered his own Gas Meter.

Will you STOP lying. You were shown the paper work relating to the relocation of the meter by National Grid but then the Moderators deleted it allowing you to repeat your false accusation.

So here it is again

n_grid2.jpg

++++++++++++++
unhelpful and provocative post removed
++++++++++++++

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all.
Will pick up a new 1mm disc at the weekend and have a go at it.
Top tip on the metal paint - have a feeling that has saved much head scratching/cursing a couple of years down the line.
Will post back and let you know how I got on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back