Cutting lead/iron pipe-how to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had a main pipe burst and need to mend myself as insurance expired.

Have only cut copper pipes which is easy enough but does an old lead pipe need something special? It could be made of iron/steel also? Waterboard will not repair as it seems to have burst under our doorstep. Angle grinder do it?
If i can repair it i will otherwise renew whole length of pipe through downstairs to stopcock (internal)[/b]

Sponsored Links
Consider using one of those new 1mm thick slitting discs in a 4 1/2" angle grinder.....they will cut through most materials, and heat build up is minimal.
John :)

Have had a main pipe burst and need to mend myself as insurance expired.

Have only cut copper pipes which is easy enough but does an old lead pipe need something special? It could be made of iron/steel also? Waterboard will not repair as it seems to have burst under our doorstep. Angle grinder do it?
If i can repair it i will otherwise renew whole length of pipe through downstairs to stopcock (internal)[/b]

Might be wrong mate so do not quote me but when it comes to lead i beleive it must be replaced in a situation like this especially on water.

Sponsored Links
If your kit doesn't run to an angle grinder, a hacksaw with a decent quality blade will do the job.

(IME The Wong Foo Ying Tong £1 for 10 blades brands tend to shed their teeth when shown anything harder than tinfoil. The hardened teeth remain stuck in the work, and quickly blunt the next blade you try)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back