BEST WAY TO CUT CAST IRON TOILET WASTE PIPE.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just removed boxed in toilet to find bowl is connected to a cast iron waste pipe which I need to cut shorter.Any ideas on how to do this >? the only tool I have suitable to hand is an angle grinder, I do not have a chain link cutter. Cheers

Sponsored Links
TILTNTURN said:
Just removed boxed in toilet to find bowl is connected to a cast iron waste pipe which I need to cut shorter.Any ideas on how to do this >? the only tool I have suitable to hand is an angle grinder, I do not have a chain link cutter. Cheers

As you know whatthe tool to use is, why not hire one?

Yes I do but only tool hire shop near me does not have a soil pipe cutter so wondered if anyone had success using any other tool . Cheers for reply though.

Easy with a small disc grinder. Only problem is filling the room with iron dust. Wet towels help. Reciprocating saw will do it if you have access.
Or a really good hacksaw.

Sponsored Links
How did you get on with cutting your svp pipe? I've got a similar problem and wondered if you used an angle grinder in the end and did it work O.K

How did you get on with cutting your svp pipe? I've got a similar problem and wondered if you used an angle grinder in the end and did it work O.K
This topic is nearly 2 year old & you'd have done better to post your own. :rolleyes: But to answer your question, yes an angle grinder with suitable disc will work very well. I’ve used one on both cast iron & clay pipes but, as stated, it does make one hell of a mess; wear gloves, goggles, a mask & be careful you don’t cut your fingers off! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back