Fitting a new toilet to existing cast iron soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a slight problem with installing a new toilet to an existing cast iron soil pipe. The cast iron pipe comes through the wall directly at the back of the current toilet, although the length of the cast iron pipe will be too long for the new toilet. what is the best way to tackle this? how do i go about cutting the pipe - use a grinder, or chain cutter. Any help will be most appreciated. :oops:

Sponsored Links
You can use a chain cutter, but I use an angle grinder to cut half way round & then hammer a steel wedge in to burst the rest of the pipe (it will run straight between the cuts 99% of the time).

I use a 9" angle grinder. It only cuts about half way through (eg from the top) so then you stop and cut off the top half of the bit you don't want, to allow the a/g to go lower. Removea bit from each side too. I break it off when the disc has taken out some of the very last bit of cast iron.
Takes about 2 minutes.
Tip - you're likely to fill the room with suspended rust, so make the jet of dirt from the AG hit a very wet fluffy towel - which you didn't like anyway.

Sponsored Links
I recently done mine with a hacksaw, it only took a few minutes, got good clean cut with very little mess. Then I put Viakal in the pipe to clean the pipe before fitting the push fit pipe joining the pan to the cast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back