Removal of cast iron soil pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace an old cast iron elbow shaped soil pipe with a new swan neck pvc pipe to allow my new toilet to get in closer to the wall. From what i can see the cast pipe is sealed into the flange with lead, what is the best way of removing this cast iron soil pipe? :confused: :?: :confused:

Sponsored Links
I'm in the same situation and I was wondering how you got on? Did you find a cunning plan? ;)

Thanks
Matthew

please note forum rules 17 & 20

Post was made 4 months ago, and only the one post

Does the cast iron elbow go into an earthenware socket level with, or just protruding, from the floor?

i stand to be corrected on this, but i thought these cast iron soil pipes are sealed with lead over hemp packing. You should be able to melt the lead and burn out the hemp if its still there, but you run the risk of cracking the cast iron pipe if you use any force to split the joint.

Sponsored Links
Often plumbers hacksaw off the cast iron pipe a few inches away from the joint. Then the loo connector will fit inside the iron pipe that's left. This is OK with an out of the wall pipe, don't know if you'd have enough space going into the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back