Help me with this fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For my sins, I've got to help my son out with some galvanised pipe he needs removing. I know all the bits I need except for this connection to the strainer. Hopefully, as the photo shows, the cold supply enters the strainer fitting through the galvanised into 15mm copper.

What fittings do I need to ask for to convert the galvanised end to accept 15mm copper?

Or would it be easier to source and fit a strainer with 15mm compression at each end?

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 162
Sponsored Links
What are you actually trying to achieve, IE what will change in the photo when you've finished?

The galvanised side will become 15mm copper.

I'm half thinking a 15-22m reducing connector would do the job - assuming it is a metric fitting.

Does that sound feasible?

Sponsored Links
Have you ever had the need to clean the strainer out ? if not I would probably get rid of it.

Thanks Dan, much appreciated.

Picasso, ironically the strainer was put in because of the rust and muck that (unbeknown to us) was coming from the slowly rusting galvanised pipe! So, probably we don't need it anymore - but as it is already there, if I can get Dan's fitting in, we might as well keep it.

As usual, grateful thanks for the help and knowledge shared on here!

Has the strainer ever been opened?

Without obvious isolation valves perhaps NOT?

In any case, with it that way up, if opened most of any trapped dirt will just fall back into the pipe!

Actually Tony, I've opened it a couple of times to clean it, and the lack of isolation valves makes it a tricky job. In fact, I've yet to discover an internal stopcock, so have to shut off the mains water via the outside hydrant!

The strainer was "as fitted", I assumed correctly. The flow goes from bottom to top in the picture - should the strainer therefore be turned?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back